Friday, April 01, 2005

FULL BATTLE DRAG...

Get out your guns!

I have always said if you see me in a dress (drag) KILL ME!

Well...

A few years ago, Carl Walker produced "Pageant" at the CAC. It was one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. It even featured Roy Haylock a.k.a. Bianca Del Rio in what I think was his first drag performance. He WAS the last 20 minutes of the show, and let me tell you I cried because I laughed so hard.

The premise of Pageant is that The Glammouresse Make-up line has produced it's own beauty pageant, similar to small town pageants, and it is one girls start up to "fame and fortune"

("Each of these contestants are natural born women... with a lil something extra") LMAO ... Come on that's Funny!

The important point here ... is that the "girls" are played by actors (men) NOT drag queens. The guys are simply playing the part straight (pardon the pun). This is what makes the entire show funny. The girls are not "personalities" like a drag queen would be, they are women who's roles just happen to be played by men.

In reality, they are really not supposed to be "pretty". After all, this is a small time pageant.

There is 1 exception... Ms. Texas. She is very attractive, and has won every pageant she has ever been in. She is the epitome of class and stature.

WELL GUESS WHO I HAVE BEEN CAST AS AT LE PETIT THEATRE.


Yes you guessed it... Ms. Texas

Now I have never been in drag. Never had the want to be. I decided to audition for the show due to the fact I saw how funny it was, and I knew the director was looking for actors, not drag queens. I know he understands the fine line between playing it real (as a women) or camp (drag queen) and that he would ensure that it is done correctly.

The production team is the same as many of my previous productions (George M. / Forever Plaid/ 42nd Street so I know it will be a first rate production.

With that said, I was very concerned about doing this to begin with. There is a stigma about a persons masculinity about dressing as a woman. Now I can assure you, I will not be seen prancing about the Pub as a woman. That is NOT my intention. I am an actor, and I am simply portraying a role.

Originally, I felt as though it would hurt my possibility of dating someone. I can see how it could be a turn off, especially to guys who are truly not impressed with the typical gay scene, and I truly sympathize there. I personally would not want to date a drag queen. ( Note to all ... I am not making judgement by any means, and I have a few friends that do drag regularly, its just not what I want in a relationship)

Anyone reading my blog KNOWS that's not gonna happen, because someone would have to be after me, and that certainly is not the case.

So into dragville I go. It will be good to be back onstage again, I have not been on since Sept. of 2003 in Forever Plaid. It will keep me busy, and at the same time put a final demise I'm sure to getting any dates in the city of New Orleans. So that will be one less thing to worry about when it's over.

OH, and the script calls for me to win nightly...

GREAAATTTTT I win a crown but not a guy... Geez it took me to get in a sequined dress and pumps to win something!

With that all aside, I'm sure the show will be fun, and I can expand my acting abilities. This will not be an easy role by any means, I feel it's going to be quite tough ( High Heels, Make-up, Wig , Posture etc.) But Hopefully I can pull it off well enough, and be good at what I am doing. That's my hope, to pull it off and do it well.

Well, that's the way it is...

2 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Preston said...

OH
MY
GOD

I so wish I was in town to see this...actually, I'd just like to be in town to see you do the little hoe-down number and say "chicken in the breadpan picking out dough!"...

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger phdaisy said...

Congrats Patrick! When does it open? I'll be back for most of May. And who else is cast?

Howdy ho! Daisy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home